Industry Challenge - Manufacturing Toothpaste Dental Cream
- Incorporation of Carbopol® and 40% Carbamide Peroxide into Glycerine.
- Carbopol® is difficult to disperse into Glycerine because the low pH Glycerine solution results in instant hydration and viscosity increase.
- 40% by weight Carbamide Peroxide is added to the Carbopol solution in a re-circulation to the mixing vessel.
- Need to increase production without expanding the facility.
Quadro Liquids Solution
- ZC1 inline disperser, skid mounted with a dual PD pump arrangement for performance with high viscosities and high solids addition rates and automated
- Q-Vac vacuum powder addition system.
Controls to allow (3) pre-set operating points on inlet and discharge pumps:
- Carbopol addition
- Carbamide Peroxide addition
- Auxiliary setting
- Automated powder valve with level sensors in the hopper to control powder on/off addition.
ZC Powder Disperser Advantages
- 75% reduction in overall batch time vs. conventional in-tank mixer processing.
- Rapid incorporation & dispersion of solids without lumps or "fish-eyes".
- Improved product consistency from batch to batch.
- Increase in viscosity, the customer was able to reformulate and use less polymer.
- The eliminated requirement to filter undispersed powders.
- No over-processing is common with conventional mixers preserving the rheological properties of shear-sensitive products.
- Significantly reduced air entrainment.
- Elimination of quality problems associated with cross-batch contamination.
- No excessive dusting from bag dumping into process vessels.
- No solids build-up on process vessel walls.
- Elimination of the requirement to expand the manufacturing area to increase production.