Background / Requirement
- Dispersion of Carbopol, HPMC , Xanthan Gum (powders are high viscosity thickeners, highly hydrophilic and difficult to disperse without fisheyes), flake wax and other minor ingredients into water and/or alcohol
- Typical batch size 6000L
- High capacity, single pass dispersion into water and/or alcohol.
Quadro's Approach to Manufacturing Shampoo, Conditioner, Handcream
- ZC3 Powder Disperser with liquid feed from water supply line for single pass powder incorporation and dispersion. Powders are manually dumped into the hopper from a mezzanine
- Full flow ball valve to ensure mass flow of powders in the hopper
- Pressure gauge on the discharge to monitor pressure on the discharge line.
Quadro Ytron® ZC Powder Disperser Advantages
- Rapid incorporation & dispersion of solids during the liquid fill cycle
- Powder incorporation time was reduced to less than 1 hour. Total batch time was reduced from 72 to 8 hours. Previous method included dumping the powders into the vessel and mix using a 3 blade pitch impeller resulting in baseball size lumps and 'fish-eyes'
- Less air entrainment
- Improved product consistency from batch to batch
- Increase in viscosity. Single pass processing eliminates over-processing common with conventional mixers preserving the rheological properties of shear-sensitive products
- Instant dissolution of wax flakes at a reduced temperature. Reduced from 85 to 67°C results in reduced cooling time
- Did not have to expand manufacturing facility to increase production and they were able to eliminate mix tanks to free up manufacturing space
- With the reduced batch times, they can now produce the products as ordered and reduce inventory and warehouse demands and still meet their 3 day delivery requirements
- Comments from end user: impressive features include "speed & versatility". "Draw less air into product". "The ZC3 is a remarkable piece of equipment".